Dim Sum Brunch @ Grand Imperial Restaurant - Pinnacle Sunway

Although there're no rules as to when you should have dim sum, why do I always find that Sunday mornings are the best time to have them? Tell me I'm not the only one. Anyway, my mum told me that she would be having dim sum for brunch with a group of friends and that it would be at Grand Imperial which she also said that they do nice dim sums there. So I asked to tag along mainly because, first, it's a dim sum brunch and second, it's on a Sunday. Cun!
We went to the outlet in Sunway. As expected, it was really busy and most of them are here for the dim sums. Do note that Grand Imperial usually serve lunch and dinner. Dim sums are only on Sundays and public holidays. (told you, the best time for dim sum is on a Sunday)
The set up is like a ballroom and there're crystal chandeliers, giving a touch of classiness. They have a little section too where they have curry fish ball with pig skin, yellow rice wine with black fungus, egg tarts, baked chicken wing with honey sauce, pan fried dumplings and more.
Dim sums are pretty direct and I'm pretty sure you'll know how egg tarts, yam cakes and dumplings taste like. They are all good. I don't want to keep saying how nice is everything so let me say it here first that everything, was nice. But there are some that I think are more than just "nice" and that you should try!
Their Steamed Prawn Dumpling (3pc-RM10.30) is one of my favourite. You get a good piece of juicy prawn in it. We even ordered another one after that. The porridge was mediocre. They do have a variety of porridge to choose from. There're ones with chicken padi, sliced U.S. Beef, prawn, pig's giblet, fish paste etc.
From top left: Steamed Vegetarian Dumpling, Shanghai "Xiao Loong Bao" (3pc-RM8.50) , Beancurd Skin Roll in Chicken Stock (RM9.50) and Deep Fried Beancurd Skin Roll (RM9).

While some may find their Baked BBQ Pork Bun (3pc-RM16.80) really good, I personally find it passable. It's not one that makes me go "oooooooaaaAAAA". But do give it a try if you have a chance because they are only available while stocks last.
From top left: Deep Fried Shredded Yam & Pumpkin Cake (6pc-RM7.50), Pan Fried Carrot Cake (RM8) and Baked Sweet Potato Puff (3pc-RM8). You should try the baked sweet potato puff! I really liked it. It's really soft so if you're there with your grandparents, this would be something that they'll enjoy!
From top left: Steamed "Cheong Fan" with BBQ Pork (RM11), Steamed Malay Cake (RM7) and Baked Egg Tart (3pc-RM7). This egg tart is the best one I had. The egg custard is really soft that it'll fall apart if you hold it for too long.  It's texture is almost similar to tao foo fah and I'm not sure whether is that a good thing but all I know is that I loved it. 
Stewed Egg Noodle with Crab Meat and Truffle, and Fried Prawn Coated with Mayonnaise together with Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped with Asparagus (RM19) are both from the main menu. I ordered the egg noodle to try as I've not tried truffles before. If I were to describe truffles in my own words, I would say that it has a rather pungent and stronger mushroom-y taste. My mum and sister didn't liked it so I had their portion too. The bacon wrapped with asparagus was quite nice too. Something different.
Chilled Pomelo Sago with Mango Cream (RM9) and Steamed Custard & Salted Egg Yolk Bun (RM8-3pc). The mango dessert is one of the better ones that I've had before. It really has the mango-ey taste unlike some others that tend to be more subtle on the mango flavour. However, the custard bun was a real disappointment. Whenever I go for dim sums, I would always order their custard bun because no dim sum meal is complete without a good custard bun. Custard bun in cantonese is "Lao Sha Bao" and "Lao" basically means "flow out" and the custard in this one did not do it's job. It was really thick and the bun was stiff.

OVERALL VERDICT

Food: 8/10 Most were exceptionally good 

Price: 6.5/10 

Ambience: We had a private room so there weren't much noise and staffs do come and check once in awhile.

Would I Return?: I would return for the egg tarts, truffle noodles and baked sweet potato. They have many more interesting dishes on the main menu. It would be a place that I'll only come once in awhile. Once every 3-6 months? 

[disclaimer: all opinions are my own and may vary from others]

Follow my food account @fixingcravings on IG for more daily food review!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Eating Suki-Ya As A Vegetarian Worth It?

Newly Opened Starbucks Reserve @ Four Seasons Place, KLCC!

BEYOND VEGGIE by SECRET RECIPE @ BANGSAR SOUTH l VEGETARIAN