OMULAB @ Seksyen 17, PJ [Japanese Fluffy Omelette]

Follow my food account @fixingcravings on IG for more daily food reviews!
It was late at night on a Monday, and I was doing what I do best, scrolling through food accounts on Instagram and I somehow ended up on Omulab's account. I found my self binged watching all the ever so satisfying videos of people slicing open their fluffy omelette that I had a sudden crave attack and FOMO. I then asked my friend to bring me there (I don't drive) for lunch on Wednesday.
  Tucked in a row of shops in Seksyen 17, Omulab is definitely hard to miss as I can already spot that two "eggy heads" from far. It is also very thoughtful of Omulab because they have private parking space, just a drive further down the road for their customers.
  We reached there just before 12pm and there were only a few tables occupied. They kept the interior minimal with pops of yellow yet still keeping up with the trend of neon signs and industrial looking lights.
All their mains comes with their fluffy omu. Omu with rice, Omu with salad, Omu with noodles and Omu with hamburg. They have Omu with coffee too for those that are more adventurous.  I decided to stick with their classic omurice.
Omu Black & White (RM23.90)
I went for the squid ink rice as I was feeling a little adventurous. Some may find the colour of the rice intimidating, especially those that haven't try dishes with squid ink before but it really isn't as scary as it sounds. I ordered this to share as I thought it would be cloying but I ended up finishing the entire plate by myself.
As you eat your way through, you'll find pieces of squids and cherry tomatoes, which I think gives a good balance to the whole dish. You'll definitely have to eat the rice with the sauce as it is rather bland tasting. The white sauce, which tastes similar to cabonara sauce has enough flavour to tie this whole dish together yet has a light consistency, making this dish not cloying.

Moving on to the highlight of the dish AKA the omelette. After slicing open the omelette, you'll have this thin layer of gooey, runny half-cooked egg. I was expecting the egg to be thicker as it appears so before slicing. Besides that, there's really nothing much to shout about because after all, egg tastes like egg.
 Omu Banger & Mash (RM22.90)
If you're not feeling rice or noodles that day, they have a few other dishes that are more Western-ish too. Banger & Mash consists of chicken & lamb sausage, mash potato which I find it too buttery, and sautéed vegetables. Taste wise, it is what it is. 

OVERALL VERDICT:

FOOD: [5/10] Would suggest to stick to their classic omurice as they are more worth trying. Their Wafu Fried Rice with Blue Cheese sounds really interesting and I heard that their Omu Demiglace is good too.

PRICE: 6/10 Average pricing for Japanese food. 

AMBIENCE: No complains

WOULD I RETURN?: Wouldn't purposely come again unless someone invites to eat there. Overall, it's a place that I would only go once and to experience slicing open the omelette, once. 

*Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and may differ from others*


Address: 7, Jalan 17/45, Seksyen 17, 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is Eating Suki-Ya As A Vegetarian Worth It?

Newly Opened Starbucks Reserve @ Four Seasons Place, KLCC!

BEYOND VEGGIE by SECRET RECIPE @ BANGSAR SOUTH l VEGETARIAN