Dinner at Birch, DC Mall

Follow my food account @fixingcravings on IG for more daily food review!
Known for their burnt cheesecake and egg benedicts, Birch is one of the top brunch spots in town. Besides serving some of the best breakfast food, they do take pride in their dinner dishes too that my friends and I decided to dine there for our reunion dinner.
We sat at the non-smoking area (right) which does get really dark after the sun sets. Picture taking is definitely not ideal so you might want to come earlier if you want to have your pictures taken or to get some flat lay shots. As much as I prefer the daylight, the ambiance here at night is really something else. Tea light candles, warm lightings that filled the space, sounds of wine glasses clinking, this really is a great place for a date nights!
Oriental Duck Rilettes Tacos (RM26)
Soft tacos filled with shredded spice-marinated duck, lettuce, tomato salsa, cucumbers and their oriental thick sauce. 
There were 4 of us so one of my friend and I shared one so I didn't really get to taste it properly as I only had a tiny little portion. But this dish received compliments from all 4 of us. 
Cauliflower Steak (RM27)
This sounded really interesting that we had to order it. A whole head of cauliflower marinated with lime zest, lime juice, rainforest honey, coriander, paprika and charred lime. I could only taste the lime flavours at certain parts, which I reckon are the parts where we squeezed the charred lime. The paprika overpowered the dish but I didn't mind. I especially love the slightly burnt parts! Definitely an interesting vege dish.
Spatchcock (RM55)
Chicken marinated in ancho chilli, orange juice, chipotle powder, jalapeno powder, smoked paprika, served with cherry tomatoes and baby potatoes. I know soft is not the word to describe meat but this is no joke, the softest chicken that I've had. Packed with strong herb flavours, this fork tender meat is another favourite on the table!
A trip to Birch wouldn't be complete without having their Huckleberry Burnt Cheesecake (RM18). At first I find it so-so only as it was still hard. But then, the middle layer starts to melt, which I know is not the best word to describe it but it literally is melting!
Do you see what I mean? I also managed to get a big bite of the melt part (even more liquidy than the picture) and holy moly, it was the best bite of a cheesecake that I took. Definitely order this and make sure you let it melt first ok? haha 
Another favourite at Birch is the Blackout (RM18) cake. Topped with crunchy bits, it is made with 70% dark chocolate but I find it sweet rather than bitter. But this is one chocolate cake that I won't feel cloying even after eating the whole slice to myself as it is not overly sweet.
L-R: Twisting My Melon, Tickle My Bell, Drop The Beat (RM15)
Was feeling a little adventurous and had TMB which consists of yellow bell pepper, sweet corn, orange and lemon. I could only taste the lemon and a bit of orange flavour.  Tried DTB too and it has a very strong beetroot taste and the consistency is thicker compared to mine.

OVERALL VERDICT:

FOOD: 8/10 

PRICE: 6/10 Price is on the steeper side but you do pay for the food you get although I think RM18 for a slice of cake is a bit too pricey (except for the burnt cheesecake)

AMBIENCE: 8/10 (night)

Would I Return?: I would, but maybe for breakfast or lunch as they have more options compared to the dinner menu.

[disclaimer: all opinions are my own and may differ from others]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Eating Suki-Ya As A Vegetarian Worth It?

Newly Opened Starbucks Reserve @ Four Seasons Place, KLCC!

BEYOND VEGGIE by SECRET RECIPE @ BANGSAR SOUTH l VEGETARIAN